Provision for Public Engagement within Research Grants
Wellcome Trust researchers can receive additional funding to engage the public with their work. Public engagement activities – where researchers can share their ideas with the public and get new perspectives on their research – can inspire learning, enhance research and help to improve health. It is now known as Research Enrichment – Public Engagement.
9 Jul 2018
There is no fixed limit to the amount of funding you can request. However, you should ask for a level of funding that's justifiable for the scale and scope of your research grant and proposed public engagement programme.
Funding usually lasts for the duration of your Wellcome Trust grant.
Funds can be used for a range of costs such as:
- other personnel costs directly related to the programme, including salary replacement or cover eg teaching staff
- consultancy costs and project management fees
- direct activity and production costs, including venue costs, equipment and materials
- relevant public engagement training and development for you and any staff employed on your grant
- evaluation, including formative/development costs
- administration costs that are not already covered by other funding
- marketing and publicity costs for events and activities
- contingency costs, as long as this is reasonable and you can justify them
- VAT on fees where the VAT can't be reclaimed.
United Kingdom Ireland
Note that while some organisers may accept applications from all around the world, you may still be required to travel to the host country in order to take part in the later stages of a competition for instance, or you may be required to live there for a period of time to take part in a funded programme (e.g. scholarship, incubator, accelerator).
Multiple host countries may mean that no travel is required.
LOG IN and discover
up to 53 incredible competitions worth over $128,712,692.00!!!
Wellcome Discovery Awards
The Wellcome Discovery Awards scheme provides funding for established researchers and teams from any discipline who want to pursue bold and creative research ideas to deliver significant shifts in understanding that could improve human life, health a....